Solved

XML Conversion Problem: Accented Characters (É) Result in � Symbol

  • 25 January 2024
  • 2 replies
  • 54 views

Userlevel 1
Badge

Greetings everyone.
I have a problem using a flat file connector, which I use to convert a fixed length .txt file to xml. the conversion is successful, but the characters present that have accents are converted with the symbol � in the resulting xml. Are there any settings or workarounds to avoid this?

address in the .txt file → 3 AVENUE DES SPÉLUGUES
address in the xml file → 3 AVENUE DES SP�LUGUES

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me

icon

Best answer by Piet Potappel 25 January 2024, 14:03

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1

Usually this is the effect of conversion from ASCII to UNICODE.
You could use a more sophisticated editor like NOTEPAD++ to see what the new character has become.

This post might help you in Arc :-)
Replacing non-ASCII characters in a file | Community (cdata.com)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the reply and advice.
I tried to really understand how this symbol is interpreted (and his real value) but this is also displayed to me by opening the xml generated with notepad++

For the moment I found the script you suggested useful, passing the txt file is "corrected" and the char "É" is converted into "E"

For the moment I can proceed like this but I would like to be able to save the exact information data as it is passed to me. I'm trying to understand if I can somehow extend and/or modify the suggested script.

Reply