Solved

How is your SAP ERP JDBC driver different from the SAP Java Connector (SAP JCo)?

• 10 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

I am wondering if your SAP ERP JDBC driver will help me with my requirement where my Java application running on an external server needs to be communicated with SAP Server via SAP's interfaces like RFC, BAPI, and IDoc.

I am new to SAP and found your SAP ERP JDBC driver and SAP Java Connector (SAP JCo) and tried to find the suitable driver that would solve the purpose.

Please correct me if I am wrong. SAP Java Connector (SAP JCo) works at the application layer of the SAP R/3 architecture; however, your SAP ERP JDBC driver works at the database layer. Am I understanding it right?

icon

Best answer by Ankit Singh 11 October 2023, 07:34

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @ashish.pancholi,

Your understanding is correct. The SAP Java Connector (SAP JCo) works at the application layer of the SAP R/3 architecture and other SAP systems, while CData SAP ERP JDBC Driver tries to abstract this data through an SQL-like interface or a relational structure.

The CData JDBC Driver for SAP ERP uses the SAP RFC interface to connect to an SAP system, however, you must obtain the SAP libraries corresponding to your RFC API to connect. The CData JDBC Driver for SAP ERP relies on the SAP RFC to execute queries and retrieve data from SAP. The RFC depends on the JCo (Java Connector) JAR file.

You can find the necessary information on how CData JDBC Driver for SAP ERP works in tandem with SAP libraries here: https://cdn.cdata.com/help/RYJ/jdbc/pg_connectionj.htm#connecting-with-the-rfc-apis.