Solved

New to CData: Excel Limitation question for consulting firm

• 27 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello, I am new to the cdata community and am in the process of learning what it’s all about! There is an Excel limitation issue that plagues most PE and consulting firms. When trying to aggregate many (50+) financial models into one dynamic model, Excel cannot handle it. I’ve been trying to do research around this topic, and have come up empty handed. I’ve tried reaching out to people at Microsoft with no luck (btw if you know someone who works at Microsoft who might be able to answer this question, I would love the connection). I stumbled across cdata and Dataverse and was wondering if this might present a solution to the problem. I still have much digging to do, but I think some kind of cloud computing the answer I’m going for. Let me know if I’m way off base with thinking Dataverse might solve this issue, or if it seem viable. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Ankit Singh 28 May 2024, 05:57

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@maxp222 First of all, welcome to the CData Community! It’s always good to connect with fellow tech enthusiasts.

When trying to aggregate many (50+) financial models into one dynamic model, Excel cannot handle it. I’ve been trying to do research around this topic, and have come up empty handed.

Technically speaking, the best way to handle your problem would be to create an intermediate layer in a database where you copy all of these financial models, cleanse and normalize the data on a database, and then build reports in Excel on top of it.

The choice of database can be anything from MySQL, SQL Server, or as you pointed out Dataverse. It would be preferable, however, to use a database that is supported natively by Excel.

If you’d like to set some time aside to discuss with a CData expert regarding this, please write to us at sales@cdata.com.