Solved

Which Data Source supports Direct Query Mode in Power

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi All,

Repeatedly, customers have raised inquiries regarding the compatibility of Power BI's direct query mode with various data sources. They seek clarification on which specific data sources are supported by this feature

The sample image for the same is as below:

The Answer to the question is that the support for direct query mode in Power BI is determined by Microsoft rather than CData. To ascertain which data sources are compatible with direct query mode, it's advisable to refer to the provided link from Microsoft's official documentation. This resource will offer comprehensive information regarding the supported data sources for direct query functionality within Power BI.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/

Choose the data source relevant to your specific use case. If you find "DirectQuery" listed under the "Capabilities Supported" section for that particular data source, it indicates that the data source supports the Direct Query method.

For example, if you're utilizing SQL Server as your data source, referencing the provided image and link confirms that Direct Query mode is indeed supported for SQL Server.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/sql-server

icon

Best answer by Luçjano Capo 9 May 2024, 13:59

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @PratikV!

Thank you for the information provided!

I acknowledge the importance of this information. Could we consider publishing it as a Knowledge Base article rather than a question on our CData Community? I believe it would be more beneficial as part of our Troubleshooting section within the Editions category. By creating a dedicated Knowledge Base article, we can provide clarity on which Power BI data sources currently support this feature, addressing any uncertainties our customers may have.

Thank you!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Luçjano Capo ,

I suggest we consider storing this information on a community site rather than opting for a knowledge base article. By doing so, we foster a collaborative environment where users can contribute and benefit from shared insights and experiences. Additionally, the Microsoft site link I provided has been available for quite some time, potentially known to individuals who have encountered similar issues. Leveraging existing resources can streamline troubleshooting processes and provide support to a broader audience.