Solved

Power BI Connector not showing up in Get Data window

• 17 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge
  • Community Manager
  • 12 replies

I’ve just finished installing a Power BI connector from CData. But when I try to find the connector in the Get Data window, I don’t see it as a selectable option.

How do I access the Power BI connector in Power BI, or how do I make the CData connector appear in this window?

icon

Best answer by Alex 17 March 2023, 19:17

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is a fairly common issue that occurs when installing custom Power BI connectors.

If you aren't seeing the CData connector in the list of available connections in the “Get Data” window, it means that the installer was unable to copy the necessary file to the custom connectors folder, and that you'll need to manually copy it to this location.

Power BI will only be able to load the connectors listed on the custom connectors folder:
C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors\

If this folder structure doesn't exist already, you'll need to create it yourself. Keep in mind that this path is case-sensitive.

Afterwards, you will need to navigate to the connectors installation location, the default being C:\Program Files\CData\CData Power BI Connector for <Data Source>

Please note that the Data Source name here would correspond to the data source edition of the connector you’re using, so if you downloaded the QuickBooks Power BI connector for example, then the folder would be called “CData Power BI Connector for QuickBooks”.

In this folder, there will be a file called CData.<DataSource>.pqx - please copy this file and paste it into the Custom Connectors folder.

Once you have done this, restart Power BI and then you should be able to see the connector in the list of available data sources via the Get Data window.